Paramedic - Piketon
- - Clinical Crew
- 45661, OH, USA
- Either Full Time or Part Time
To provide medical and non-medical transportation and educational services in the most caring and professional manner.
To be the most TRUSTED and VALUED medical and non-medical transportation provider.
MedCare is committed to providing an array of high-quality health related services of social value by conducting all operations in an atmosphere of concern and safety, respect for human dignity, legal and ethical responsibility, and the efficient management of resources.
Basic EMT/Advanced EMT/Paramedic Job Description
REPORTS TO: Base Supervisor
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
FTE STATUS: 0.30 to 0.90
Under general supervision, and in accordance with Medical Control Board's policy, procedure and protocol, performs specific tasks required for the effective and efficient care of patients in a pre-hospital setting and/or intra-facility transfers. Exhibits courteous and professional behavior while interacting with co-workers, patients, families, health care professionals, and public safety personnel. Promotes and maintains a smooth working relationship between management and employees. Operates and maintains company equipment in a safe and professional manner.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
Customer Focus and Communication
1. Builds good relationships and rapport with partners, supervisors and management. Treats all people with dignity and respect.
2. Knows and meets all of the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. Actively seeks customers' feedback on quality of service provided and resolves customer related issues.
3. Promotes good internal customer service. Receives and responds to personal visits, incoming calls, and e-mails in a prompt and professional manner.
4. Responds professionally and promptly to instructions from a variety of sources, such as, dispatchers and supervisors.
5. Monitors and properly operates all communications equipment to ensure efficient, constant, and appropriate contact with the communications department.
6. Responds to all requests for service in an optimal manner and the priority of response when directed by the dispatcher.
7. Able to communicate all pertinent patient information to medical personnel directly involved with patient care in compliance with local protocols and in accordance with Department of Public Services and HIPAA Guidelines.
Maintains and Enhances Skills
8. Possesses sufficient job skills and knowledge to perform the job in a competent manner.
9. Demonstrates the essential skills and knowledge in day-to-day situations. Is a continual learner, adds to knowledge and skills as job requirements evolve.
10. Meets all educational requirements.
Teamwork and Engagement
11. Is an effective team player who adds complementary skills and contributes valuable ideas, opinions and feedback.
12. Respectfully challenges ideas and shares alternate opinions but supports team decisions. Promotes cooperation and commitment within a team to achieve goals and deliverables.
13. Adapts approach, goals, and methods to achieve solutions and results in changing situations.
14. Contributes to a workplace that is free from harassment and respects individual differences.
15. Meets company meeting attendance requirements. Is in compliance with attendance policies.
Safety and Security
16. Is knowledgeable about job safety and security responsibilities. Adheres to all workplace safety and security regulations, standards, policies, and procedures.
17. Demonstrates safe and secure work habits. Takes no shortcuts that increase risks. Looks for unsafe and non-secure practices in the workplace.
18. Promptly reports actual or potential safety or security concerns.
19. Protects the privacy of all Company and patient information in accordance with the Company's privacy policies, procedures, and practices, as required by federal and state law, and in accordance with general principles of professionalism as a health care provider. May access protected health information and other patient information only to the extent that is necessary to complete job duties.
20. Assures maintenance and checks adequate stock of drugs and supplies aboard transport vehicle. Checks biomedical equipment, both portable and aboard transport vehicle, to ensure proper functioning and reports any deficiencies.
21. Abides by company's current Bloodborne Pathogen Plan.
Decision and Recommendation Quality
22. Gathers information and others' input to allow a thorough assessment of risks and benefits of alternative approaches in decision-making and recommendations.
23. Considers lessons learned from experience, differing needs, and the impact of the decision on others.
24. Stays focused on objectives and considers both the short-term and longer-term impact of decisions and keeps objectives in mind throughout the process.
Clinical Care and Documentation
25. Performs pre-hospital duties in compliance with all state EMS rules and regulations, license appropriate.
26. Transports sick and/or injured patients to or between appropriate medical facilities and/or residence.
27. Works expediently to ensure availability of resources in order to maximize utilization and productivity.
28. Demonstrates flexibility as patient needs change and the ability to communicate the need for additional assistance when necessary.
29. Assesses the nature and extent of patients' injuries or illness and establish treatment consistent with state licensure and protocols.
30. Produces accurate, legible, and complete documentation on all runs.
31. Administers medical treatment in a caring and compassionate manner thus promoting positive public relations for the company and the EMS profession.
32. Is receptive to medical control facilities' judgment regarding treatment of patients and follows their judgment.
33. May assist in various duties including but not limited to:
a. Controlling crowds
b. Protecting valuables
c. Assisting medical personnel in emergencies at medical facilities by initiating BLS procedures as defined by the Department of Public Services and under the direction of a physician
Advanced EMT Responsibilities – (All of the above responsibilities plus the following):
44. Provides appropriate patient care as defined by local protocols and the State Department of Public Services Guidelines including but not limited to endotracheal intubation and intravenous cannulation while assisting the attending paramedic with patient care.
45. May attend on intra-facility transfers at the BLS level per local protocols.
46. Must drive for ALL ALS transports unless municipal personnel are available to drive and assistance is required with patient care during transport.
47. May assist with ALS procedures within the scope of their licensure as defined by ODPH and local protocols
48. Restock, reassemble, clean, and decontaminate the equipment and vehicle after every transport. Exception to this responsibility exists only when the Advanced EMT attends during patient transport.
Paramedic Responsibilities – (All of the above responsibilities plus the following):
49. Drive or attend as defined above and as dictated by local protocols and State Department of Public Services Guidelines.
50. Perform all advanced procedures required during treatment and transport unless assisted by a licensed Advanced EMT.
1. Licensed as a Basic EMT, Advanced EMT, or Paramedic by the State Division of Emergency Medical Services and maintained in good standing.
2. Must possess a current American Heart Association CPR certification and maintain in good standing.
3. Paramedic employees must also possess a current American Heart Association ACLS certification, maintained in good standing.
4. Must possess a valid Driver's License in state of employ, and be eligible for driving privileges based on current policies and procedures.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
1. Must be able to write, read and speak English fluently.
2. Work requires the skills necessary to quickly and safely transport patient using available resources, prioritize requests, and assist with patient care as directed.
3. Work requires the skills necessary to assess and prioritize patient needs, formulate treatment plans, and alter treatment as necessary.
4. Manages and copes effectively with stress related to the care of patients, families, and unpredictable situations within various care settings.
5. Work requires interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with internal and external personnel in stressful situations and to act as a representative of MedCare to the public.
6. Must demonstrate alertness at all times.
7. Required to bend, stoop and carry equipment over rough terrain without any limitations in range of motion and use proper body mechanics.
8. Must be able to withstand high amounts of stress in uncontrolled environments.
9. Must maintain competency on assigned and alternate modes of transport.
Works outdoors, in weather common to the region, on a regular basis. Exposure to blood, body fluids or tissue.
Must pass an employment lift test.
The information provided in this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by incumbents within this job. It is not designed to be interpreted, as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and working conditions required of employees, assigned to this job. Management has sole discretion to add or modify duties of the job and to designate other functions as essential at any time. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract.